Thursday 20 September 2012

My Review for Miralli Ferrell's novel. 'Other Daughter'

My five star review for 'Other Daughter' by Miralli Ferrell.


It’s Susanne Carson’s birthday and she’s waiting for her husband David to get home from work and take her for a celebratory meal. The doorbell rings, and Susanne opens it to find a young girl standing there clutching a battered suitcase, and claiming to be her husband’s daughter.

Other Daughter is not the sort of book I would normally read. But it came well recommended, and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to read it. This is a Christian book, but it is certainly not preachy! It is well written, honest and at times gritty and certainly challenging. As I read, I found myself wondering how I would react in such a situation. If the product of my husband’s one night stand appeared on my doorstep.  Very much like Susanne I think. Even as a Christian, I would find the situation very hard to cope with.

Having had a difficult childhood, I could relate to young Brianna. I could feel her unhappiness and insecurity, her need to be loved and accepted.

I could also see things from Susanne’s perspective. First the shock of her husband David’s infidelity; and then trying to cope with her own emotions. The insecurity and anger, engendered by the situation she found herself in.

The characters in the book were totally believable, I felt drawn to each one, especially Susanne’s daughter Megan. I loved the way she accepted Brianna and cared about her. As did Grandfather and Susanne’s mother Clair.

As for Brianna’s uncle, what a nasty piece of work he is! He drops the child off at Susann’s house and drives off without so much as a by-your- leave!

 

Other Daughter is a brill book with lots of twists and turns. There’s excitement and heart tugging emotion. I loved the honesty in this book.

It’s the sort of story that remains with you long after you’ve read it.

If this is Miralee Ferrell’s debut novel, then I can’t wait for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment