Monday 30 September 2013

I gave this lovely book five stars.

Casa de Naomi by Paula Rose Michelson, is about Naomi a lovely young Jewish woman who due to unforeseen circumstances finds herself stranded and alone on Ellis Island...until an old lady named Tia rescues her. When I first started to read the book, I confess I thought the old lady along with help from the Ellis Island official was kidnapping Naomi. However, the opposite was true; Tia took Naomi home and looked after her. The old woman gave her a life and a future.
When Tia died, Naomi took over the work of helping the vulnerable young women arriving at Ellis Island. Sadly one day she rescued the wrong girl...Lola. What a nasty piece of work she is! I will say no more as I do not wish to give away any part of the story.
Casa de Naomi is quite the most beautiful and poignant story I've read in a long while. I found the style of writing both poetic and romantic. In some small way it reminded me of Song of Solomon.
Not one character, no matter how small the part they play in the story is side-lined. Each one is written with such depth. The author's portrayal of Spanish Harlem is so artistic; one can almost smell the food and spices in the market place.
This is a story based around the powerful human emotions of, deception, mistrust, love and betrayal.
It's a brilliant book, and really makes one think about the insidious evil that is anti-Semitism. I am so pleased I had the opportunity to read it. I can't wait to read book 2.



http://www.amazon.com/Casa-Naomi-House-Blessings-ebook/dp/B007ILFVWQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380574133&sr=1-1&keywords=casa+de+naomi+the+house+of+blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment